Main Forum

Closed Case file: Heartbeat of the Delaware River

4 replies
Aptitude:
+101
TRAINED
Admins
Senior Consultant
Source: https://www.nj.com/salem/index.ssf/2018/10/a_sickening_pulsing_heartbeat_mystery_music_has_re.html

Residents of Delaware and New Jersey have been lamenting about hearing a “sickening, pulsing heartbeat” sound that can’t be drowned out, a dull bass that begins in the early evening and goes on until 3-4am. People say the noise is so loud that it shakes windows, or that they can feel it in their body and over loud TVs.

The authorities seem to think it may be a party boat ignoring noise limitations, but we’ve been asked to investigate if there isn’t any other less mundane explanation for this mysterious, thumping sound.
Hadden 'Atrus' Pertwee
Knightsbridge Consulting
"We are the kolbitar, the coal-eaters; we sit by the fire in winter and tell stories of a younger world."
Posted Nov 25, 18 · OP
Aptitude:
+7
NOVICE
Consultant
I'll take this one. My abilities in sound manipulation may help here.
Posted Nov 26, 18
Aptitude:
+101
TRAINED
Admins
Senior Consultant
It's aaaaall yours!
Hadden 'Atrus' Pertwee
Knightsbridge Consulting
"We are the kolbitar, the coal-eaters; we sit by the fire in winter and tell stories of a younger world."
Posted Nov 26, 18 · OP
Aptitude:
+7
NOVICE
Consultant
Case Title: Heartbeat of the Delaware River

Consultants: Peter Harkem

Resolution: Source of music was guys blasting music loudly out of their tricked-out cars with upgraded sound systems. Sounds of music were boosted to cover wide areas through these magical sigils disguised as graffiti. Found the person who sprayed said magic graffiti; apparently knew about magic and the secret world. He said he would stop, though I'm not sure if he actually would.

Case Write Up
I went to Delaware and, via a technique for sound detection, I found something curious. Some of the graffiti on the buildings had this strange magical feel (or aura) to them. Almost like wards, but they were unlike any wards that I had ever seen before. (I'm not sure if they even count as wards. Perhaps magical sigils?) These "graffiti-wards" or "graffiti-sigils" didn't repel any magic or creature, but rather, they "boosted" sound waves that came near. They also, somehow, "shut off" whenever any living creature came relatively near. This is likely why the authorities couldn't pinpoint where the music was coming from. They're really strange -- again, I had never seen graffiti or wards or sigils that were anything like them before.

I also found that the strength at which the graffiti boosted sound waves, and the strength of the magical auras of the graffiti themselves, varied. I started following the graffiti like a trail, hoping that stronger graffiti would eventually lead me to the true source of the music. The "trail" led me to a pretty ghetto area in the city of Wilmington. I stayed around there until the evening, and by then, a large group of young guys and girls -- probably late teens to early 20s -- drove to said area in their tricked-out cars, blasted music through their crazy powerful sound systems, and just partied all night.

I didn't feel like partying with them so I just went home and came back the next day. I thought that, if I could somehow mute the magic graffiti sigils and nullify the sound-boosting, I would draw out whoever was drawing them in the first place, and I was right. I found a way to undo the sigils by playing some of my own music -- played weird harmonies on my mbira to nullify the sigil -- and eventually one of the guys who was at the party the night before walked up to me and asked me how on Earth I was "undoing his hard work." His name was Mike, and I quickly got him to admit that he knew about the secret world, and he was creating the magic sigils. His reason for doing this was, and I quote, "because [he] wanted to show people REAL music, not the shit they play on the radio." Kids these days...

I told Mike that everybody has different tastes in music, and not everyone appreciates the music he listens to. That, and nobody likes a music snob. In the argument that followed, he got a little heated, but thankfully he didn't resort to physical violence. Eventually he gave up; he threw his arms up in the air and stormed off to remove whatever magic graffiti he can. I have a feeling that this isn't the end of the magic graffiti, though.

Follow up actions: I'll be visiting Delaware periodically to see if Mike is spraying any new magic graffiti. If he does, I'm hoping we can get CoV assistance or something to get him to stop, but at the same time, this might not be big enough of an issue for the CoV to care.
Posted Dec 22, 18
Case Report
List
Undo
Aptitude:
+101
TRAINED
Admins
Senior Consultant
Sigils to boost a signal, huh? Interesting. I hope you got good pictures of them, because I'd definitely like to study them, see if they can be used for other applications.

Let's keep an eye on this Mike. If he knows of the secret world and has a feel for magic, he might even become a local asset with the proper nudging.

Good work, Peter.
Hadden 'Atrus' Pertwee
Knightsbridge Consulting
Posted Dec 22, 18 · OP
List
Undo
NoticeNotices